Saturday, March 25, 2017

whispering their names




     When my brother was in hospice I saw him and his partner of 30 years holding hands. It was the first time I had known of them to allow anyone to see their physical tenderness for each other.  I also remember that they slid their hands apart when a nurse walked into the room.  Now I know that all the nicknames they had for each other, all of them quite funny, were a way of touching and sometimes the only intimacy they felt safe to use in public.  We don’t have to whisper the names of those we love.  But if we do, it should be because it is a way to reach through time and distance and to touch them with the gentleness of our voices. 

the wild blue poem series, from the first section on grief. the entire book is available through Amazon Kindle at:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E2UU19O

No comments:

Post a Comment