Saturday, January 23, 2021

8 weeks and counting

 Spring is coming. Sure, Sure. I'm not writing about that though. We know spring is coming.  The hyacinths are tapping at the soil. The earthworms are thinking about setting the dial to defrost. But we know all that and more. What we don't know is if the menhaden are heading up this way yet or pooling around warmer waters.  Or if the osprey are waking up and thinking, 'Hmm, Jersey Shore, better get my place again this year.' It's the osprey I'm waiting for or maybe not waiting. Maybe I'm moving toward them. I mean, the least bit of sunlight these days, after so many days of darkness, and I'm not just talking past the solstice, but the country's trials, after so many days, I jump on sunlight out of the shadows I'm standing in and declare it feels like spring.  If that's not being too optimistic, let me tell you this too, out of a need for transparency. Spring is great. I won't argue that. But it's summer I'm heading toward. So I hope the menhaden understand, schooling around warm waters might be good for their members, but summer in Jersey is what they ought to head toward. If they move fast, I think spring will come sooner. And once spring is here summer get's the idea. This is how things really work. Summer is closer just thinking about it. The angle of the light is shifting toward a more dominant position in the sky. Oblique sunlight is losing ground. Who knows? Maybe it's the hyacinth causing all this. Praise be hyacinth. What a great flower. Just sayin'.  


New book installments coming soon.  

Be well. Hang in there. 

Summer is coming.



No comments:

Post a Comment