Sunday, October 20, 2013

Attic to the stars, phone in the shower



We're planning to watch for the Leonid meteor showers in November.  Most people I know have not had a lot of successful meteor shower viewings in these parts. For one thing, they're not always reliable. And these days it’s hard to find people willing to lie outside in the cold and damp waiting for them with us. It's also getting harder to get up after lying on our backd in the dark and cold waiting for them.  But when the Leonids come along this November we’ll probably be waiting for them just as I did the year before. Some things just require faithfulness.

Another November day I shared the following notes:  When a meteor comes along it's coming with a guarantee that everyone there won't have seen it.  They go by so fast – it’s like phitt, phitt and they’re gone. When many were promised and you do get to see the phitt phitt everyone that missed it groans and says something like, "Really, I just turned away for second."  That means another hour or so of looking so they get a chance to see one too.  The bladder starts wanting a voice in how long everyone is staying out but you know that's only one small segment of the body clamoring for your attention.

I ended this day in the attic after a day of raking the leaves.  Dry weather, clear blue skies. The neighbor spotted not one but a pair of red tails just the day after one struck a squirrel in our yard.  It is squarely autumn here and there's nothing to do but give into the season and enjoy the leaf mold, sneezing, and those pure glycerin moments when the gold or red leaves are shot through with sunlight and just through that  window of beauty you get to see the bluest sky.  It's all here and then there's the raking.  There's really no good reason why a rake works better than a debris blower except for the fact that it combs the ground and the leaves seem to come along nicely.  I felt like a shepherd gathering the flock. It was after I had gathered the flock and dragged the flock on the tarp for, oh, I don't know, maybe three hours, that my back did appreciate the change of pace.  I changed the pace to sitting down and sipping a hot cup of tea.  I thought I'd appreciate the tea but my back liked it even more.

So that led to what seemed like early retirement, at least for the day.   But then I remembered that we were going to watch the meteor showers.  This means bundle up and get everything you own that's warm out of the attic and worry about the aches and pains on Sunday.  Here's the thing - crawling up the scrawny attic steps I realized that I'd have to crawl over everything that I've been tossing up there just to keep the downstairs free from the detritus of daily living. I discovered that a whole lot of tossing was going on. This meant a lot of crawling around looking for things warm and cozy for the meteor watching.  I realize that I can do this today but as the years go on I might want to have an emergency phone up in the attic in case I get stuck up there.

While I was raking the leaves I was thinking how much I missed a friend of mine. We hadn't spoken in over a week and I was wondering when I could call her. I was tired and needed a shower or be willing to face a citation from the township.  With all that had to be done today I thought it would be a great idea if I could talk to her from the shower. I would avoid a citation from the board of health and I could move onto the next thing.

Why is it that Saturdays have become an object lesson in connections? I have learned that the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone because my knee bones are really aching and my thigh bones can't do the walking without them. If I were to economize my motions I should consider putting an observation hole in the attic and wait there for the shooting stars while wrapped up in everything that's warm and within reach.  Once the telephone gets installed I could be set for the whole winter.  The Geminids are next and they're supposed to be reliable. So I’ve been thinking…

No comments:

Post a Comment